Featured image: Coman’s Mine, Nerrigundah
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 26 June 1920, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society
SHEEP MOVING.– On Wednesday part of the big mob of sheep, which left Cowra in September of last year passed through Moruya. There were 4000 head when they started on their long journey in search of grass, but the flock on Wednesday numbered 2500. Another 1000, being on the weak side, were left in Bergalia paddocks for awhile. They are going on to Tarago where they will be trucked back to their home.
DESTROYED BY FIRE.– We are sorry to report that some silly coots set fire to a somewhat expensive implement constructed some short time ago by Mr. P. Lynch for the use of the Moruya Jockey Club in levelling their racing track, with the result that the implement was totally destroyed by fire, nothing but the ironwork, including about three dozen of lengthy bolts being left. The perpetrator of such a dastardly act has earned six months in Bega Goal. May the police unearth him and bring him before the Police Magistrate, is the wish of every honest citizen.
A CLEVER CATCH.– For some time past Charlie Ahoy has been losing his rabbit-traps, and in order to track the thief, put his collie dog onto the scent of where he had placed one trap. Following the dog for a mile and a half (half a mile of which was through water) Charlie discovered the felon in the shape of a monster fox, which the dog, after a great fight, had killed on the top of the hillock. Reynard had one leg caught in the trap. Again starting the dog from where he had lost another trap, this clever animal traced the missing article, which also had a fox in its clutches, to a blackberry bush about a mile distant. Needless to say there are now two midnight marauders less, and Charlie is the possessor of two beautiful skins.
THE LATE E.J. COMAN.
Deep was the gloom cast over the South Coast when the wire flashed the sad news that Mr. E.J. Coman had passed away at the residence of his daughter Mrs G. (Katie) Hunter after a short illness.
He contracted pneumonic influenza about a year ago, since which he has not regained his usual health, but no unusual danger was thought of until a few days before his death when a serious turn came, from which he never rallied.
Mr Coman was born at Candion, Moruya, 75 years ago, the greater part of his life being spent in the district – his young days on his father’s station, where he gained the knowledge of stock for which he was in after years, noted. He was also a keen horse judge. As a cattle judge he had few equals. He was a strong supporter of horse racing, and a number of his horses carried silk to the front in Bega, Braidwood and Moruya.
He was the second son of the late Mr. and Mrs. W. Coman of Eurobodalla. He was a member of a family of 11, all of whom are well and favorably known on the South Coast. He was greatly interested in mining and spent a good deal of time and money in developing the mining industry of this and adjoining districts, having erected a battery in Nerrigundah and later in Pambula.
In the year 1876 he, with his brothers John and Phil, went to Queensland in search of station property and succeeded in finding one on the Diamantina. After making sale of this he struck west into then unknown country and was rewarded by the discovery of a new river which he called the Sylvester. He took up 200 square miles on it and afterwards sold to Messrs Wolsey and Parker of Yanco, having to leave the Queensland climate through contracting the fever. E.J. as he was generally known, was a man of fine physique.
He was for a year, Acting Police Magistrate of Moruya and was also a member of the Land Board. He was married to Miss R. Flanagan of Moruya, to whom he had eight children, four sons and four daughters. His youngest son Walter, was killed at the war, all others survive him. The funeral took place at Burrawang and was largely attended. The Rev Fr McNamara officiated at the graveside.
Sergeant and Mrs Keating are in receipt of advice from the Base Records Office, Melbourne that their son, Staff Sergt. Noel M. Keating, who had had 3½ years of active service, is on his way home. He sailed on the troopship “Kigoma,” which left London on the 20th May last, and which is expected to arrive at Sydney early in July. Noel served with Brigade Headquarters, 13 Infantry Brigade at the front, and since the signing of the armistice he has been engaged at A.I.F Headquarters, Horseferry Road.
The saints are always nearest sin,
This word of wickedness within;
And though they claim to be the best,
They’re just as wicked as the rest.
Though Pharisces with every breath
Declare they have no fear of death;
When colds are rife they’re always sure
To rush for Wood’s Great Peppermint Cure.
APOLOGY. I HEREBY apologise to Mr. HILTON INNES with regard to my behaviour to him on Sunday 20th in Vulcan-street, Moruya, and agree to pay all expenses incurred by him in connection with this matter. R. GRAHAM. Witness: E.A.H Shepherd.
Twenty one 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1919 are available ($6 to $8ea) from the Museum. Back copies of local newspapers can be viewed on microfilm at the Society’s Family History Research Library (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya.The Moruya Museum houses a collection of furniture, books, artefacts and memorabilia that is intended to show visitors something of the lives of the ordinary people of this community from the middle of the nineteenth century. Most items on display were donated by local families.
To explore the museum’s online collection click HERE.
Click to read a copy of the current museum brochure.
Leave a Reply