Featured image: Ryan’s Club House Hotel, Queen St, Moruya c.1920s.
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 22 May 1920, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society
At the Sacred Heart Church, Moruya, on Wednesday, the wedding of Mr. Harold Albert Ryan, late 5th Light Horse Regiment, youngest son of Mr. George Ryan of “East Lynne” Bateman’s Bay and Miss Bridget Skehan, youngest daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Skehan, of Mullenderree was celebrated by Nuptial Mass by the Rev. Father O’Sullivan. The bride, who was led to the altar by her brother, Alderman M. Skehan, of Milton, made a charming picture in a gown of white crepe de chine with overdress of georgette finished with silk and embroidered with pearls; a tulle veil (lent by Mrs. Poideven, of Milton, sister of Mrs. M. Skehan) gracefully arranged over a chaplet of orange blossoms and the exquisite bouquet of white roses and asparagus fern, which she carried, completed a lovely toilette. Her sister, Miss L. Skehan, was bridesmaid and wore a dainty confection of champagne crepe de chine and bead embroidery with smart black hat. She also carried a bouquet of pink bouvardias, lillies and asparagus fern; Mr Aaron Ryan attended his brother as best man.
During the Nuptial Mass, the choir sang Battman’s Mass. At the signing of the Register Miss Irene Behringer sang C. P. Cooper’s “Ave Maria.” Miss Eileen Keating played Mendelsohn’s “Wedding March” as the bridal party left the church.
An adjournment was then made to Ryan’s Club House Hotel, where a sumptuous spread prepared by Mrs and Misses Ryan and their capable staff was in readiness. The table was beautifully set out, the color scheme being the bridegroom’s battalion colors, red and blue. Conspicuous in the centre was an elaborately adorned five decker cake (made by P.J. Mylott’s bakery establishment) on a large mirror surrounded by doves. Suspended over this was a lovely floral bell the handiwork of that artistic lady, Mrs, J. Strahan. Another attractive article on the table was a silver sup won by the bridegroom in Palestine and inscribed thus:- “Held at Semahih, Sea of Galilee, 6/2/’19 Presented by Lieut.-Col. D.C. Cameron, D.S.O. For horses belonging to N.C.O’s. of 5th Light Horse. Won by no. 789 and Sergt. H.A. Ryan’s Stranger ridden by owner, 4 furlongs……
The happy couple left per Weatherby’s special car midst showers of confetti and good wishes, the bride travelling in smart frock of navy velvet trimmed with fur and military braid with hat en suite and set of furs (gift of the bridegroom).
The bouquets of the bride and her maid were the gifts and tastefully arranged by Mrs M. Skehan and Miss L. Corbett and their pretty costumes were the handiwork of Mrs. W. Stephens.
SULKY ACCIDENT.– An accident occurred on Monday which fortunately was not attended with any serious results. A young man named Joe Hinchcliffe was driving a horse and sulky out of Mr. G. Turner’s gateway, when the horse got too much pace up. The driver in order to escape the fence on opposite side of the road suddenly swerved the animal, with the result that one of the wheels came off. All the occupants, Hinchliffe being accompanied by Misses I. Turner and Allen, were thrown out, but luckily escaped injury. The horse then galloped across the intersection of Evans and Campbell Streets and jumped the Swamp Reserve fence. The harness breaking, freed the horse and the sulky was left on the outside. The only other damage was done to the fence, the top rail being broken. The horse (which, with the sulky, is owned by Mr. G. Turner, jun.) escaped without a scratch.
MOGO. (From our Correspondent)
An open-air meeting of timber-cutters was held in the Recreation Ground on Sunday afternoon, 16th last. A large number of men rolled up from the surrounding district, also representatives from Bateman’s Bay. The general aspect of the local administration of the Forestry Department as affecting the cutters’ interests were the root cause of the meeting, particularly the officials’ present action of jumping the royalty on cutters from 5½d per cubic ft. to 10d.
Licences will not be granted unless cutters agree to pay this royalty; also not to fell trees under 7 ft. girth 4 ft. from the ground. Cutters complain that the increased royalty cannot be paid by them, also that the size of trees stipulated for all-round size of girders will be a pure waste of timber. Further remarks upon official entanglements on the cutter’s rights to earn a living, and pending attendance of delegates from Moruya will be made next meeting Sunday 23rd inst. when ways and means will be decided on for dealing with what is considered an official attempt to lockout timber-cutters from our forests.
FOR SALE BY TENDER
THE PROPERTY in River Street, Gundary, known as White’s, consisting of a FIVE-ROOMED COTTAGE, Out-Buildings, Underground Tank and ¾ acres of Land, and a ¾ acre Building Block adjoining.
Tenders will be received separately or together by the undersigned up to WEDNESDAY NEXT, 26th Inst. R.B. HEFFERNAN, Auctioneer.Twenty one 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1919 are available ($6 to $8ea) from the Museum. Back copies of local newspapers can be viewed on microfilm at the Society’s Family History Research Library (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya.The Moruya Museum houses a collection of furniture, books, artefacts and memorabilia that is intended to show visitors something of the lives of the ordinary people of this community from the middle of the nineteenth century. Most items on display were donated by local families.
To explore the museum’s online collection click HERE.
Click to read a copy of the current museum brochure.
Leave a Reply