Category: 100 Years Ago

  • 100 Years Ago – 12 September 1925

    100 Years Ago – 12 September 1925

    The new cheese factory at Central Tilba has been completed, at a cost of £4500, and it is pronounced equal to anything of its kind in the State. Mr. Robert Little, who has been in declining health for the past two or three years, passed away on Monday night at the patriarchal age of 93…

  • 100 Years Ago – 5 September 1925

    100 Years Ago – 5 September 1925

    Cons. C. Love was thrown from his horse at the Heads on Thursday evening, receiving slight concussion. Mr. J. D. Ward has generously offered to take the Scout boys and equipment to Broulee where they will pitch camp for the holidays this month. On Sunday last a number of Moruyaites – Messrs. H. J. and…

  • 100 Years Ago – 29 August 1925

    100 Years Ago – 29 August 1925

    To augment the funds of the Hospital Ball, a euchre party and dance was held in the Mechanics’ Hall last Tuesday. Considering the extreme cold and boisterous wind during the evening, a good number of our charitable friends braved the elements to assist in a good cause. Mr. C. de Saxe had charge of the…

  • 100 Years Ago – 22 August 1925

    100 Years Ago – 22 August 1925

    A Gundary cottage fire endangered a family, saved by prompt rescue; uninsured losses severe, community raised funds to support victims.

  • 100 Years Ago – 15 August 1925

    100 Years Ago – 15 August 1925

    Mining in this district at present is just at its lowest ebb. Francis’ Hill, Dwyer’s Creek, owned by G. Gordon and Edwards, is the only lease at present working in that part. A party of speculators have visited the field. Her friends will be sorry to learn that a serious accident befell Mrs. Flanagan, senr.,…

  • 100 Years Ago – 8 August 1925

    100 Years Ago – 8 August 1925

    Mr. C. Johnston has purchased the shop and two storied house in which he lives in Vulcan St. from Mr. A. F. Emmott. Trawlers are operating freely along the coast between Moruya and Narooma, in consequence of which rockhoppers are having a slow time. We are pleased to announce that Jack, second son of Mr.…

  • 100 Years Ago – 1 August 1925

    100 Years Ago – 1 August 1925

    Moruya Cheese Factory reported significant butter fat and cheese sales, while local developments and health issues impacted the community.

  • 100 Years Ago – 25 July 1925

    100 Years Ago – 25 July 1925

    Fuller Bros. and Russ Collie, have opened a sawmill at Olsen’s Creek, on the Prince’s Highway between Tilba and Narooma. In a letter highly complimenting Mr. K. Fowler on his formation of a troop of Boy Scouts in Moruya, Mr. John D. Ward generously enclosed a cheque for 30/- towards entertaining our boys who left…

  • 100 Years Ago – 18 July 1925

    100 Years Ago – 18 July 1925

    Mr. H. Ball, of Mullenderree, is the latest to have his name added to the list on the telephone exchange. The American fleet – that section visiting Sydney – will pass Moruya Heads on Wednesday next, 22nd inst. Crossing over a piece of ground on which the recent flood left a heavy deposit of silt,…

  • 100 Years Ago – 11 July 1925

    100 Years Ago – 11 July 1925

    A meeting for parents of a new Boy Scouts troop is scheduled, and turkeys were delivered. The steamer Bermagui was successfully navigated after flood damage. Mr. Charles Brook, a local pioneer, passed away.

  • 100 Years Ago – 4 July 1925

    100 Years Ago – 4 July 1925

    Mr. Ennis inspected Dorman and Long’s quarry progress; Dr. Cutler departs for Canberra; Mr. Carter recognized for his service.

  • 100 Years Ago – 27 June 1925

    100 Years Ago – 27 June 1925

    Miss Dorothy Warren is engaged to Charles Marsden. The district faces flooding issues, water supply upgrades, and delays in necessary dredging operations affecting local livelihoods.

  • 100 Years Ago – 20 June 1925

    100 Years Ago – 20 June 1925

    Mr. Bert Taylor has had the misfortune to lose one of his valuable draught horses. The animal was found with one of its legs broken, having evidently been kicked by another horse, and it had to be destroyed. The I.S.N. Co’s steamer Narani is expected at Dormon, Long’s wharf to-day (Saturday) with coal for the…

  • 100 Years Ago – 13 June 1925

    100 Years Ago – 13 June 1925

    The Bermagui steamer remains trapped behind a retaining wall, necessitating its removal over the next two weeks. Recent floods have impacted local elections and shipping activities. Meanwhile, plans for a new bakery have been approved, and hotel license renewals were granted. Rainfall data for May highlighted significant precipitation across southern centers.

  • 100 Years Ago – 6 June 1925

    100 Years Ago – 6 June 1925

    The Mart sale is postponed due to floods, with salvage goods accepted on June 12. Moruya is recovering, showing resilience despite damage, particularly in Kiora and Yarragee. Key rescue efforts were made during the disaster, and notable losses include property and crops. The flood was unprecedented, leading to significant hardships for local families.

  • 100 Years Ago – 30 May 1925

    100 Years Ago – 30 May 1925

    In May 1925, Moruya experienced a devastating flood, causing extensive damage, displacing families, and impacting local elections, with losses estimated over £40,000.

  • 100 Years Ago – 23 May 1925

    100 Years Ago – 23 May 1925

    Dr. H. M. Cutler has joined Dr. Dight as his junior partner, leaving his practice to Dr. McCreedie, which will be keenly felt in the community. Meanwhile, Dorman, Long & Co. is advancing at the Pompey granite quarry, constructing significant buildings and installing a large plant. Nelligen recently faced severe floods, causing extensive damage and…

  • 100 Years Ago – 16 May 1925

    100 Years Ago – 16 May 1925

    The Moruya Co-op Dairy Co. won £5 for cheese at the Sydney Show. Mrs. G. Bishop will start eurythmics classes in Mechanic’s Hall. Local footballers face Bateman’s Bay. Councillors honored Ex-Councillor Bate. Various community updates include fines, asphalting work, and a cemetery cleanup.

  • 100 Years Ago – 9 May 1925

    100 Years Ago – 9 May 1925

    Mr. P. Mills auctioned land in Moruya; notable events included a marriage announcement, a concert for town improvements, and a significant fire in Bodalla causing major losses.

  • 100 Years Ago – 2 May 1925

    100 Years Ago –  2 May 1925

    Mr. Bate stores significant fodder on his property, while steamers are launched for bridge construction. A ball supports cricket, providing enjoyment and funds for the club.

  • 100 Years Ago – 25 April 1925

    100 Years Ago – 25 April 1925

    On Anzac Day, strict observances are mandated, with the Post Office operating briefly. Notable visits include Sir Hugh Bell inspecting granite quarries. A memorial event in Bergalia honors fallen soldiers. A tragic accident occurred involving Mr. A. F. Emmott. Mr. A. Keys will open a new butcher shop, and Mr. Jos. Latimer passed away.

  • 100 Years Ago – 18 April 1925

    100 Years Ago – 18 April 1925

    Mrs. Carden has acquired Keating’s Hotel, now named “The Hotel Moruya,” from Mr. Martin Keating, who has retired after 55 years in business. The newly opened hotel will cater to tourists. Local events include a Caledonian Society meeting, fishing trips, a wedding in Nelligen, and an Easter picnic in Nerrigundah.

  • 100 Years Ago – 11 April 1925

    100 Years Ago – 11 April 1925

    The Premier presented a photo of the R.M.A.S. Australia to the Eurobodalla Shire Council. Mr. Bert Coppin set a record by building two silos in 23 days. Mr. R. M. Bate, aged 78, and pioneer Michael Stormon, aged 87, recently passed away, leaving behind significant legacies and large families.

  • 100 Years Ago – 4 April 1925

    100 Years Ago – 4 April 1925

    Mrs. T. Taylor passed away shortly after her husband in Bega hospital. Mr. H. P. Jeffrey successfully sells Aladdin lamps. Mr. Michael Stormon Senr. died at 87. A cricket team will represent Moruya against Mogo. Moruya Co-op Dairy discussed a new cheese factory to meet industry standards at a special meeting.

  • 100 Years Ago – 28 March 1925

    100 Years Ago – 28 March 1925

    Telephone 62 is now active at Dormon, Long and Co.’s office. Tenders for the Narooma School of Arts memorial close on April 27. A dog bite incident led to the dog’s destruction. The Narani’s mast broke while unloading equipment, and the weather saw a significant temperature drop following recent heat. Events and sales also reported.

  • 100 Years Ago – 21 March 1925

    100 Years Ago – 21 March 1925

    The Eurobodalla Shire has received a £150 grant for a new road at Pompey Point, with work commencing post-survey. Mr. Squires has opened a tinsmith business in Moruya. Local rabbit trappers are warned of skin damage in hot weather. Additionally, machinery is arriving for Dorman, Long’s quarry, which employs 95 men, with numbers expected to…

  • 100 Years Ago – 14 March 1925

    100 Years Ago – 14 March 1925

    Mrs. J. Emmott has sold her cottage to Morrison and Davidson, while the Sydney Harbour Bridge’s foundation stone ceremony is set for March 26th, presided by the Governor. Rabbit skin prices rose, benefiting trappers. New shops are nearly complete on Vulcan Street, enhancing town appeal. Meanwhile, the quarry shows substantial progress, employing about 100 workers…

  • 100 Years Ago – 7 March 1925

    The road to Broulee is mainly in good condition, with one exception. A. H. Weatherby has purchased land for development. Fresh immigrants are arriving, with support for farmers available. Meanwhile, Moruya will host life-saving training teams during Easter. A warning for an impending influenza epidemic was issued by health authorities.

  • 100 Years Ago – 28 February 1925

    100 Years Ago – 28 February 1925

    Last year, there were 62,471 cars, 11,970 motor lorries, and 20,112 motor cycles registered in the State, reflecting a rise of 25,000 vehicles. The I. & S. C. S. N. Co. received news that the Bergalia was on its way to Sydney. Local events included a collision involving Mr. Duncan, the capture of fraudsters, and…

  • 100 Years Ago – 21 February 1925

    100 Years Ago – 21 February 1925

    Mr. H. Bate and the Government have created a new silo moulding system, a serious accident involved Mr. Morchell’s car colliding with a horse, and the community mourns the death of Robert Henry Harvison, distinguished member of the community and owner of the Moruya Examiner.

  • 100 Years Ago – 14 February 1925

    100 Years Ago – 14 February 1925

    Mr. R. V. Harvison’s health has worsened after months of illness, with his son, Alwyn, returning home. Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Perkins visited the Show, enhancing their popularity. Moruya Public School students excelled, gaining high school placements. Mr. Fitzpatrick suffered injuries in a work accident, while the Bodalla Library held a successful meeting, and…

  • 100 Years Ago – 7 February 1925

    100 Years Ago – 7 February 1925

    Mr. D. Innes is recovering from a leg injury sustained at Pompey quarry. Miss Lily Colefax has achieved entry to Sydney Girls’ High School under Mr. Carter’s guidance. The Tilba Hotel remains open despite being delicensed, while Mrs. B. MacDonald is recruiting workers from Scotland. Moruya Pony Races were postponed due to rain but resumed…

  • 100 Years Ago – 31 January 1925

    100 Years Ago – 31 January 1925

    The Moruya Examiner recounts community events and notable happenings, including the sudden death of Mrs. J. Strahan, a successful tea room owner, and a wedding attended by family and friends. The Mogo Progress Association announces a new public telephone office, and a steamer, Bergalia, is launched for cargo transport. Further, John O’Reilly’s death is mourned,…

  • 100 Years Ago – 24 January 1925

    100 Years Ago – 24 January 1925

    Malabar Bridge has caused damage to vehicles; and the Nelligen hotel may not be rebuilt due to high costs. In Moruya, quarrying is set to revive community activity, with infrastructure improvements underway.

  • 100 Years Ago – 17 January 1925

    100 Years Ago – 17 January 1925

    In the quarter ending December 31, 1924, the district recorded 32 births, 7 deaths, and 1 marriage. Mrs. Caroline Shottin passed away suddenly at 78, causing community sorrow. Improvements have been made in Page Street. Additionally, Mr. H. R. McWilliam seeks direct phone connectivity between Tuross and Moruya.

  • 100 Years Ago – 10 January 1925

    100 Years Ago – 10 January 1925

    Mr. P. Flynn announces a Government veterinary surgeon’s visit to investigate cattle bone chewing. Miss Emily I. Veitch married Mr. Albert Ingold in Mogo. Campers enjoyed great fishing in Congo. George Edward Hanscom, a local bootmaker, passed away at 67 and was buried with Masonic honors.

  • 100 Years Ago – 3 January 1925

    100 Years Ago – 3 January 1925

    Through the recent heavy rains, the Congo Creek mouth has opened. An old age pensioner named Thomas Newman dropped dead at Nelligen yesterday (Friday) morning. Moruya distinguished herself last week-end by recording the heaviest fall of rain for the State – 264 points. The pupils of Dwyer’s Creek Public School presented their popular teacher with…

  • 100 Years Ago – 20 December 1924

    100 Years Ago – 20 December 1924

    The Moruya community reflects on recent events, including school achievements, an apiary inspection, strict law enforcement on stray livestock, and a successful local concert, amidst changing weather conditions.

  • 100 Years Ago – 13 December 1924

    100 Years Ago – 13 December 1924

    Dredge Antleon starts operations at Quarry Wharf; Moruya Race delicensed Royal Hotel to close on Christmas Eve; mining developments reported; Eurobodalla Shire meeting notes highlighted.

  • 100 Years Ago – 6 December 1924

    100 Years Ago – 6 December 1924

    The Moruya district’s recent activities include a successful wool consignment, local sports events, school achievements, and a ‘kitchen tea’ celebration, among other community happenings.

  • 100 Years Ago – 28 November 1924

    100 Years Ago – 28 November 1924

    Mr. Constable harvested a large cabbage; local gold mining progresses; legal fines issued; public bath project declined; library planned.

  • 100 Years Ago – 22 November 1924

    100 Years Ago – 22 November 1924

    Mr. McIntosh invests in a new lorry, a motorbike trial sees few finish, hospital maintenance discussed, local council issues addressed, and Mrs. Latta’s death noted.

  • 100 Years Ago – 15 November 1924

    100 Years Ago – 15 November 1924

    A four-year-old boy from Mogo passed away from gastritis. Local efforts for road repairs and dairy factory updates continue. Granite quarry work commenced.

  • 100 Years Ago – 8 November 1924

    100 Years Ago – 8 November 1924

    Mr. A. H. Preddey prepared for Dorman, Long’s manager’s arrival amid drought concerns, while local events and a sawmill fire impacted the community.

  • 100 Years Ago – 1 November 1924

    100 Years Ago – 1 November 1924

    Mr. W. Ryan enhanced his butcher shop, while public works projects progressed in Moruya. Community events thrived, and local competitions and efforts marked recent activities.

  • 100 Years Ago – 25 October 1924

    100 Years Ago – 25 October 1924

    The Agricultural Department advises against manuring tomatoes until the first fruits set, emphasizing the need for fertilizer during full bearing. St. Mary’s Convent Fund raised a record £173 11s through recent fundraisers. A tragic accident claimed Mr. Walter Windley’s life in Lismore, leaving behind a grieving family. Mogo progress continues with new initiatives.

  • 100 Years Ago – 18 October 1924

    100 Years Ago – 18 October 1924

    Mrs. W. Lyons narrowly escaped injury after a horse bolted due to bees. Henry Ford plans assembly works in Australia, while local mining projects receive government aid.

  • 100 Years Ago – 11 October 1924

    100 Years Ago – 11 October 1924

    Mr. Roy Byrne has acquired a Ford lorry for lorry services. Mr. L. D. Hawdon leased Tuross Estate and purchased 760 sheep. Additionally, community events included school picnics and a successful ball.