Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 2 December 1916, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
ROLL OF HONOUR – On Tuesday last Mr Joe Grumley, who had just returned to Moruya after seeing his second son, T. J. Grumley, sail for the front on Saturday, received a cable containing the bad news that his eldest son, W. L. Grumley, who had enlisted over 12 months ago, had been wounded in France. Let us hope that the wounds received by this brave soldier, who had passed unscathed through several stiff battles, are not of a serious nature, and that he will soon be convalescent again.
NO FIGHT – The lads dragged away from their farms and dairies against their will, to fight overseas, under the Hughes’ War Proclamation Act, have been discharged without striking a blow, the Proclamation having been withdrawn.
DEATH – There died at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr J. Buckley on Sunday, one of Moruya’s oldest pioneers, in the person of Mr John Gardiner, at the advanced age of 87 years. Mr Gardiner, who was born in Somerset, England, came direct to this district about 58 years ago and took up farming at the Burra, where he reared a large and highly respected family. He was of an unassuming character, many unostentatious kindnesses as a neighbour being recorded of him. His wife predeceased him 17 years ago. During his 12 months illness, he was tenderly nursed by his eldest daughter, Mrs J. Buckley. He leaves two sons – John (Lismore), and Alfred (Moruya); six daughters – Mrs J. Buckley (Mullenderree), G. Rose, Byrnes, Brown, Gardiner (Sydney) and Jones (Little River.)
LOCAL LITIGANTS – At the local court on Monday last, two cases were listed for hearing before Mr Shepherd P. M., Mr P. Egan J. P. also occupying a seat on the Bench. C. Fitzgerald sued Mr Millard for loss of a calf, alleged to have been killed by the latter’s dog, and M. Millard claimed damages from C. Fitzgerald for assault. Plaintiffs were successful in both cases.
NERRIGUNDAH – List of cases heard before G. S. Shepherd Esq, Police Magistrate, at Nerrigundah Police Court on 29th November 1916.
– Claude T. Smith, fined 10/- and 6/- costs, for failing to register a dog.
– Application by Clarence D. Fraser, for dredging lease.
-Two public meetings have been called for the last two Saturdays for the Roll of Honour, but both have been unsuccessful.
-Excellent specimens of gold have been found, and within a very short time, good finds are expected.
– Prospectors are getting prepared to go out to Berlimba.
– All gardens are looking well after the rains.
– A cattle sale held at “Thistlewood” the property of William Lavis and Son, last Saturday the 25th was very successful, cattle bringing big prices.
NELLIGEN – THE SEASON – Up to the present we have had cool, pleasant weather, with occasional heavy showers, and an entire absence of hot weather. Grass is plentiful and stock are beginning to look well. Present indications point to a good summer. The “Oldest Inhabitant” and local weather prophet have now put their reverse gears into action, and now predict good rains until Xmas, followed by a dry January. Their forecast of a dry season made at the beginning of Spring was followed by a fall of 30 inches and 20 points of rain, and most of us have lost faith in them, and their predictions are now met with jeers and unseemly laughter.
BENEFIT – Some time ago it was decided to organise a benefit to assist the family of Mr G. Wright, who had the misfortune to lose his leg by amputation, following on an accident. As the unfortunate man had previously lost an arm, his case met with ready sympathy, and as a result of a ball and subscription lists, a cheque for over £30 was forwarded to Mrs Wright. For a small district, the response is highly creditable, and the people are to be complimented on their generosity.
Seventeen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1915 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).
Leave a Reply