Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 17 June 1916, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
WHARF ROAD – We are pleased to hear that those of our Shire Councillors, interviewed on the subject, are quite in accord with the views expressed by us in a recent issue favouring the formation of a short span of road from the Illawarra Co’s, shipping stores to Ford Street. We hope soon to see the work under way.
MINING – In the fortnight ended June 3rd the Tewksbury Proprietary Araluen dredges recorded 97oz of gold, and the Victorian Araluen Dredging Company 54oz in the same period.
JEWELLERY SALE – Owing to the paucity of attendance and the ridiculously low prices offered Mr. I. Simmon’s Jewellery was withdrawn from sale on Saturday last, but will be offered again this Saturday afternoon, at the Piano Depot, next Walter’s shop. Without doubt the jewellery is of superior quality and of the latest fashionable styles, and we can recommend it to our friends with the greatest confidence. H. J. Thomson will again wield the hammer.
PIANOFORTE DEPOT – The British Pianoforte Depot have sold out the whole of their local stock, including Allison, Wagner and Welbeck pianofortes. By this week’s boat a very fine church model Welbeck and one each of Broadwood and Allison will be unshipped. Persons in want of these instruments should not let this favorable opportunity pass without securing one, as the Inspector, Mr. Thomas, will make the terms very easy for those who have not the whole of the cash to plank down.
CAR RECOVERED – Mr. G. Harrison’s motor car, which ran over the Bateman’s Bay ferry punt on Saturday, with Moruya mails on board, into about 20ft of water, was floated on Sunday by the punt and brought over to this side of the river. The driver, Stan Nelson, and a lady resident of Bateman’s Bay, the only passenger, are thoroughly convalescent, and appear to suffer no ill-effects of their cold immersion. We understand that the injuries sustained by the motor car will cost mail contractor Mr. Harrison something between £30 and £40.
HOUR OF CLOSING REFERENDUM. – VICTORY FOR SIX O’CLOCK – The polling on the question of the closing hour of hotels on Saturday last resulted in an overwhelming majority being recorded for 6 o’clock. The latest advices state that it wins by an absolute majority of 64,767 votes.
PERSONAL AND OTHERWISE
– Miss Alice Lynch, daughter of Mr. W. J. Lynch of Narooma, has been appointed to Numba public school.
– Mr. Harry Duncan, son of Mr. James Duncan, of Eurobodalla, has enlisted, and goes into camp today. Good boy, Harry!
– Amongst the list of increments in the Postal Dept, appears the name of Mr. A. L. Paviour, formerly of this office, from £210 to £235 per annum.
– That Pvt. O. L. Harrison was in Moruya on Sunday, being on his way back to camp after attending his mother’s funeral at Eden.
– That Braidwood had 54 points of rain on Saturday afternoon and night.
– That Mr. “Jack” Hamilton’s motor car which was destroyed by fire, or the remnants of it, is now at the Moruya wharf awaiting shipment to Sydney.
– That Mr. Thomas, district inspector of the British Piano Depot Co., lost a £10 bank note out of his pocket on Tuesday last about noon.
-That a small article of jewellery was picked up in Vulcan Street recently, the owner of which can have the same by calling at this office and giving description.
– That Sergeant Cross looked painfully disappointed at his meeting on Friday night when only one recruit answered his powerful appeal for assistance for our boys at the front.
– That Mr. Leo Flanagan has received a letter from his brother Pte Paul Flanagan, who is only 16 years of age, to say that he has sailed for an unknown destination.
– That Publicans who have expended large sums of money on hotels in order to bring them up to the required standard should be liberally compensated on account of being docked of five of their best money-making hours.
Seventeen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1915 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).
Leave a Reply